Journalist Frank Mottek, “the voice of business news in Los Angeles,” will be the master of ceremonies at the March 20 Distinguished Journalists Awards Banquet sponsored by the Greater Los Angeles Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
The event, which will take place at the Omni Hotel in downtown Los Angeles, honors journalists in print, broadcast and digital media.
An award-winning broadcast journalist with more than 30 years of experience, Mottek currently anchors the morning drive Money reports on KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO and hosts the one-hour business and consumer news program “Mottek On Money.” He provided daily coverage of the 2008 financial crisis, the Great Recession and stock market updates.
Since joining CBS in Los Angeles in 1992, Mottek served as reporter and anchor on KNX as well as business anchor on KCAL9-TV and spot reporter for KCBS-TV CBS2. For 10 years, he also worked as reporter and business news anchor on the KTLA Channel 5 News @ 10 and the KTLA Morning News.
He is frequently called to lead some of the highest-profile business discussions, including economic forecast events for the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation, the Milken Institute, UCLA Anderson School of Management, the Association for Corporate Growth, Los Angeles Business Journal and Southern California Association of Governments.
The Distinguished Journalist honorees are longtime regional journalists practicing in print, radio, television and digital media. They are: Rich Archbold, public editor of the Long Beach Press-Telegram; Steve Padilla, Column One editor and Metpro director of the Los Angeles Times; KFI-AM news editor Nicole M. Campbell; KMEX-TV Univision 34 news anchor, reporter and host Gabriela Teissier; and David Dayen, freelance journalist and author.
The Freedom of Information award will go to Scott Sanders, an attorney with the Orange County Public Defender’s Office.
The Distinguished Journalists Awards banquet will be held on Wednesday, March 20 at the Omni Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. A no-host cocktail reception will begin at 6 p.m. Dinner will be served at 7 p.m.
Tickets for the event are:
- $100 for SPJ/LA members
- $140 for non-members
- $80 for students
- Tables of 10 are available for $1,000
Sponsorship opportunities are also available. The three levels of sponsorship are:
- Platinum ($5,000): Acknowledgement in the banquet program, event signage, logo included on banquet website and in emails, one complimentary table at the event.
- Gold ($2,500): Acknowledgement in the banquet program, logo included on banquet website and in emails, five complimentary tickets to the event.
- Silver ($1,500): Acknowledgement in the banquet program, logo included on banquet website and in emails, two complimentary tickets to the event.You can also support SPJ/LA by purchasing an ad in the banquet program:
- Full page ad inside program: $350
- Half-page ad inside program: $250
- Quarter-page ad inside program: $150
For details on sponsorship or to make a reservation, please contact Alice Walton at AliceMWalton@gmail.com or (310) 595-5612.